PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation
Old 27th Jun 2011, 16:41
Young Paul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the sake of discussion ...

How much effort should we really be putting into this? The circumstances in which there is a total and permanent loss of enough of the flight systems are pretty unusual - even with the large amount of aviation in the world today, how many hull losses are we talking about? One in five years? And in the case of AF, wasn't the more fundamental problem thought to be the fact that it flew through a CB? Surely the more important issue is to ensure that pilots avoid the situations where their superior basic handling skills are needed to save lives?

On the other hand, I can think of several occurrences of double engine failures on twinjets that have occurred in the last five years. Should training to handle this wisely not be getting a higher priority?

Particularly in a professional pilots' forum, of course there will be people who nod sagely and say that being a professional pilot requires good basic flying skills. And they ought to have. But my suggestion (I am open to being refuted) is that the real risks that need to be addressed aren't shortcomings in basic flying skills. For instance, I genuinely think that one of the greatest risks not that will CAUSE the next accident but which will be a significant contributory factor is poor CRM. Most people have got to grips with it. But accidents and near accidents will continue to happen where this has broken down - and what it will actually look like will be CFIT (with a captain assuring a junior fo that he knows the local area) or loss of control in a CB (with the capt unhappy about flying so close to the red bit but not wanting to intervene a fifth time in the fos operation) ...

Thoughts?