PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 27th Jun 2011, 13:39
d105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pilotdreamer2
hi all,

Just wondering what type ATPL questions to expect during assessment day. Also are they still using the Compass test? memory, math, etc etc,

thanks
The only 'difficult' thing about the Compass Test is ATPL questions. Mind you, I'm putting difficult between brackets considering in my personal opinion the ATPL questions are really more geared towards practical knowledge rather than pure theoretical knowledge.

If you operate in Europe or see winter operations on a yearly basis elsewhere the performance questions, which make up most of the 30 ATPL questions, will not be an issue for you. If you know your company's performance manual, you are already well prepared for them.

The remainder of the Compass Test is not really something you can actually prepare for. There's some memory challenges, some multi-tasking and some spatial awareness and instrument reading exercises. But unless you can't remember what an EHSI looks like there's really nothing to worry about.

If I could give one tip for the Compass Test it would be to refresh your basic maths. Addition and subtraction along with long division, ETP calculation and extremely basic linear acceleration equations. For some who have been out of College for many years and don't have an active interest in physics or mathematics it might come as a bit of a surprise if you didn't take an hour or two to refresh this stuff.

To give some perspective. I attended a pre-selection day not so long ago nearly completely unprepared due to personal circumstances and I passed regardless. I admit I'm in a more comfortable position than others who might be unemployed, but the general atmosphere was relaxed and easy-going. Most of us simply ended up chatting with the recruiters/pilot at the coffee table most of the time. They do mention these selections are more about getting to know you and who you are rather than grill you.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by d105; 27th Jun 2011 at 13:50.