PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No fuel to go-around
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2002, 12:12
druckmefunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see why our lot in commercial aviation is steadily getting worse. The way many of the contributors on this thread have condemned the Commander of the subject aircraft is amazing. I think IcePack has summed it up perfectly. It appears that this Captain probably has done nothing wrong. Due to his vast experience, he could forsee a potential problem had he been forced into an unplanned go-around (as often happens at Heathrow) due to minimum spacing from the preceeding aircraft. Without undue dramatics he made sure (as far as he could) that he would have appropriate spacing, thus removing one variable from his situation, and giving him every opportunity to make a successful approach. I would think that waiting until established in the go-round with 1800kg of rapidly reducing petrol would be a little late to tell someone he needed help. Give him a break.

"There but for the grace of god go I."

For 411a. I'm not exactly sure how you would explain to the commercial department why you diverted when your fuel remaining, whilst a bit low, still met all company SOP and legal requirements to continue. But then i am just a worker bee and no doubt have lots to learn yet.