PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2011, 11:40
AlphaZuluRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi wallybird7
Originally Posted by wallybird7
Auto Trim is not a primary flight control. Therefore the crew's control was restricted. You cannot recover an out of control plane with trim alone.
Never did I say that one can recover an out of control plane with trim alone.
And I do agree that the (auto) trim seems weird, based on the may 27th note : why did it go (almost) full NU, but didn't go less NU (or ND) when the crew pushed the sidestick ? Many answers come to mind, I choose to wait for more data on that.
That said, and it's all about semantics :
- the alpha prot/alpha floor protection in normal law does restrict the crew's control
- the bank angle protection (67° max) in normal law does restrict the crew's control
- the overspeed protection (inducing a NU command) does restrict the crew's control
- OTOH, the Auto Trim doesn't restrict the crew's control (until proven there was a mechanical and/or logical/software failure). It is designed AFAIK to follow the crew's commands (and to maintain 1g without crew's command).
And as DW stated : if the pilot doesn't like what autotrim is doing all he or she has to do is keep their hand on that trim wheel.
That's the difference I make between restricted and not restricted. And it certainly doesn't mean that I try to say the plane is "perfect" and the blame must "go to the crew". That's not what I think