PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2011, 07:51
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RWA - my position on the 'paucity' of information released by BEA is on record on the site. I agree we have only a 'subjective' assessment of turbulence, but it is pretty much standard practice that if moderate or worse is expected, the cabin will be told to secure carts etc and get the pax and then themselves seated and strapped. I cannot see AF being different there but with so many vital clues missing from the published CVR extracts we do not know. Of course turbulence was present, but the experts opinion is that it would have been 'average' ITCZ turbulence. From what little is published, it appears the pilots took the appropriate action initially - warn the crew, adjust route. Based on what little I see so far I do NOT consider turbulence to have been a contributory factor in the accident.

I am trying to stop the growing spread of the 'urban legend' that they "flew blindly and stupidly into the mother of all CBs". As long as that remains unproven (and unposted), I am happy. As I and others have said, there are significant and meaningful chunks of flight deck comment missing from the release for some reason which may well hold an explanation as to why they zoom climbed, for example, which precipitated the stall.

I have commented in Tech Log also on the Atlantic incident in 2001 where an A340 did a similar zoom - without crew input - and its speed reduced to a very low figure too. Way to go.

Edit to correct my error on Vls

Last edited by BOAC; 27th Jun 2011 at 10:40.