PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2011, 05:50
Old Carthusian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gums
I think you fail to understand the nature of the FBW system used on Airbus aircraft. I must admit I don't fully understand it but from what those who know have said it is more about placing limits on what you can do with a very stable aircraft. The comments on the various threads by those who fly the beast do not talk about an unstable monster kept in the air by computers but a stable platform which is easy to fly without the protections. As the aircraft encounters different situations the protections or limits drop away but the aircraft doesn't become suddenly unstable.
It may be that there is a problem with the training regime for these aircraft and that not enough attention is paid to flying without these protections but I am not qualified to comment about this and I haven't seen any comments from Air France pilots on this board about their training and whether there were deficiencies so I just don't know. It may also be that the flight crew were deficient in their knowledge but I would not like to make that judgment yet - I believe that it is far too premature to even form that conclusion. Certainly, the pilots actions need considerable more scrutiny but to go as you seem to for a theory that myriad system faults incapacitated the pilots is too reckless at the moment.