PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2011, 02:54
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC

RWA and all the other boys and girls here - I'm sorry to bang on about this, but please stop MAKING THINGS UP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEA Report
The level of turbulence increased slightly

- NB NOT 'Severe Turbulence' Please try to stick to the given facts - it only confuses the thread.
With all (genuine) respect, BOAC, in my view the BEA's use of the word 'slightly' is valueless (like much of the rest of the document) since the BEA provides no information at all on how much turbulence was being experienced before the increase (whether 'slight' or not)?

That there WAS an increase is clearly shown by two paragraphs in the note:-

At 2 h 06 min 04, the PF called the cabin crew, telling them that "in two minutes we should enter an area where it’ll move about a bit more than at the moment, you should watch out" and he added "I’ll call you back as soon as we’re out of it".

At 2 h 08 min 07 , the PNF said "you can maybe go a little to the left […]". The airplane began a slight turn to the left, the change in relation to the initial route being about 12 degrees. The level of turbulence increased slightly and the crew decided to reduce the speed to about Mach 0.8.
So the facts are that the flightcrew warned the cabin about likely additional turbulence, and then, two minutes later, diverted 12 degrees to the left of course and reduced speed.

Perhaps 'severe' was too strong a word; and I'll happily substitute 'significant' if you prefer it. But you'll know much better than I do that airline pilots hate diverting or reducing speed unless they have to, because it means delays.

So I hope that you'll agree that there's little doubt that turbulence was a factor in the early stages of the accident?

And moving on from there, one has to wonder why the BEA used the word 'slightly' at all, when it provides no evidence at all to back it up - and, I repeat, no information at all on what level of turbulence was occurring before said increase?