PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation
Old 26th Jun 2011, 21:13
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alf - thanks as always for a thoughtful and comprehensive post. I cannot respond to it all, but would say:

"repetition and entrenched thinking." is where I think we are. Take the 3 year cycle of LPC/OPC 'topics' - how often is a wildie thrown in? Do we just tick the box for UPs, double engine fail, loss of all hydrayulics etc etc without looking at the increasing complexity of the a/c systems, what can go wrong and how we both recognise that and react to it? Hence the secong bullet point you post.

"We depend on automation, and in the extreme may believe that automation can replace the unique human ability to think. We no longer practice ‘old skills’ associated with understanding (situational awareness) because the required level of ‘understanding’ is presented in suitable formats; EFIS, FMS, Autopilot/FD, but most of the modern human-machine interfaces are adequate for basic flying tasks." - yes, to me a very large part of the problem. Indeed I would go further than you and say "all of the modern human-machine interfaces are more than adequate for basic flying tasks". Most are indeed excellent. The AB system included. I have, however, maintained for a long time that these outstanding systems are ahead of human capacity at this time and thereby too complicated. My point is - are we ready when it fails and do we have the necessary human skills to notice and react and the equipment with which to cope.

Tee Emm's post is a case in point - that sort of SA is rarely, if ever, in a pilot's life-time needed now - it was 'bread and butter'. When the wick goes out, however, on the EHSI or whatever, what should be a simple task of sorting things out methodically is vastly complicated by a lack of awareness as to what the magic stuff had been doing for the last x minutes/hours. Get airborne, plug it in, and when we see 1 hour or so to go, start paying attention to things. Seen that before?

Keep it coming folks - something needs to change..