PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solenta
Thread: Solenta
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2002, 09:38
Petes Dragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shooting from the hip

Darryll,

Wondered whether you would pick it up.... Isn't it great to see that nobody is perfect.

One question though if you do not mind.... Why did you as SIC not report the drunk PIC's on any one of the "many occasions" that you had the misfortune of flying with them? Not only did the drunk PIC's commit an offence, but you did too, by allowing that flight to take place. Just a thought....

Squall-hog,

I think you pretty much nailed it on the head. Pilots (in any organisation) should stand together and ensure that they operate to the same standards and rules. It unfortunately requires only one pilot that thies to make a point, to upset that apple cart.

Whether you are right about Solenta and politics, only time will tell, but I think any company offered such an opportunity will jump at it (Rossair and SAA cadets is an example).

And yes, the most important person on any flight, is me. If I percieve any threat to my wellbeing on a flight, I'll decline or try to make sure that the flight goes out in such a way that I am happy.

Maxrated,

No not at all, the point I was trying to make, is that no company (not even Solenta) can be all bad, and that there might just be some positive points in such a company. This belief is borne out by speaking to some of the pilots. Although they are not perfectly happy, they seem more happy than unhappy, if that makes any sense. Must say though, I have never met a pilot that was happy all the time. A pilot that does not bitch, can only be dead...

I cannot comment on the CCMA rulings or any of the labour issues at Solenta, so I will not go down that path at all.

At least we also agree on one point - you get good pilots and you get bad pilots, be they SAAF trained or civvie trained. I have had the priviledge to have flown with some really great civvie pilots from whom I have learnt a lot, but then the opposite is also true and I have been scared sh*tless by some civvie pilots. Unfortunately this is one debate that will never lie down and will always be with us. After all, we have to share the same airspace, not so?

Turbine tank,

If you need a P2 for that Britney gig, let me know....