PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2011, 14:40
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harryman
Why are the many training bodies not addressing recovery from stalls (of all styles and reasons), rather than simply illustrating their avoidance and prevention.
Excellent point, Harryman, IMO. My guess is that it's almost impossible for the programmers (however talented) to 'reproduce' stalls in a simulator; and equally impossible for the trainers (and the accountants) ever to let novice pilots actually stall real airliners worth hundreds of millions of dollars as part of their training..........

Any of us who have learned to fly anything have learned to 'deal with' stalls. But only in basic training (in my case in the odd Cessna and Blanek or T21 gliders). AND with the benefit of good visibility and instruments that were all working.

I doubt (well, just about KNOW) that any such practice would have been unlikely to have been of much help to the unfortunate guys flying AF447; in icing conditions, with at least periodically-malfunctioning instruments, zero visibility, and severe turbulence. AND with pre-programmed 'systems' interfering as well, though some at least of them will have been 'signing off' and 'leaving it to you' in the middle of things, and just sending you a useless 'encoded' message that the PNF just had to waste time reading and cancelling........

So I'm reasonably sure in my own mind what the accumulating 'problem(s)' that caused the accident were.

But I have no idea at ALL as to what the manufacturers AND the airlines can DO about it. And, seems to me, THEY likely won't have much idea either, up to the present time........