PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2011, 12:55
PA 18 151

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi AlphaZuluRomeo,

Yes I think that is a good explanation for why ALT 2 should be latched. I suspect Airbus should take a look at this again and I am sure they are doing so. Icing conditions are more frequently encountered than ash cloud conditions and the ice didn't hang around for long at all.

There was an inconsistency between the speeds displayed on the left side and the integrated standby instrument system (ISIS). This lasted for less than one minute.

In this situation. The aircraft knew it was stalled, knew it's pitch angle, and had consistent and valid airspeeds. What more info do you want before you start to lower the nose?

And you are correct, the vast vast majority of airline pilots could correctly manage the pitots icing, unreliable airspeed, any subsequent change of flight law, and the safe conclusion of the flight (and recovering from a high altitude stall without thinking about it). I think those who say they would also be in trouble are just being melodramatic, if not they should disqualify themselves.

Last edited by PA 18 151; 26th Jun 2011 at 13:11.