PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slowing down the aircraft in x wind!!
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2011, 10:44
scotbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surely phrases like "kick off drift" should not be part of a professional pilot's vocabulary? Try sitting in the last row of an aeroplane 60+ yards long when someone up front applies an agricultural amount of boot at the last moment.
Many students have developed a lasting fear of Xwinds from trying to master the KOD technique so beloved of the RAF and flying clubs.

A controlled sideslip is by far the most polished technique of landing in X winds and the autopilots of aircraft such as the B757/767 are capable of the most impressive demonstrations - landing almost wings level. The principal advantage is that a controlled flare can be made. It must be remembered that the into wind aileron should be held through the flare and landng run. A swept wing can be generating sufficient lift on the upwind side to inhibit autobrake and/or lift dump. The most common fault is to centralise the controls on touchdown.

The 757 in particular demonstrates its dislike of landing with crab on by shaking itself like a wet dog - but the greatest defect of KOD is that, if timing is misjudged, it leaves the machine drifting downwind and the pilot bereft of ideas. A common response is to stuff the nose down - which can result in landing nosewheel first. Now that will very likely damage the aeroplane!
Unfortunately, I gather the Airbus non-conventional control laws have led to a revival of KOD recommendations.
My advice - if you are not a Bus pilot - learn controlled sideslip. It will save you a lot of heartache and works on all types I have flown from the Tiger Moth upwards!