PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Home of Photos in Dunnunda! Mk I
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2011, 10:14
airfreight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

P.S. Sam still had 2 aircraft when I was learning in the late 60's., a Piper Tripacer that he flew now and then, and a Miles Messenger that had been grounded by D.C.A. because of suspicion about the glue used in the ply. His son told me this morning, that it was found later when the aircraft was sold and shipped to N.Z. that the glue and ply were O.K. after all, as his was a post-war model with the Blackburn Cirrus Major 3 engine (similar to the early Chipmunk engine, he said) of which only 38 were made.
If someone knows the history of this aircraft, (don't have the rego from then- but could get it), if it is flying, and if so - could they post a photo - as I haven't seen it for a long time..
Photos of any Messengers welcome in flying colours, they are a classic old ship.

Hi Frigatebird.

Found a post about my grandfather Sam Hecker while serching the net made by you on this forum.. Interesting stuff.. i remember the last two planes he had in the shed out near Island road plantation ..

the one you are talking about that was not allowed back in the air because of the wood / glue issues i think from memory was red.

Not sure if thats him on the left in that photo but.. i have a couple of pics of him in his younger days when he did the red x trials ..

cheers
David jnr