PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2011, 09:59
PA 18 151

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaZuluRomeo
Hi

I think you misinterpreted what "valid speed" means. When the BEA writes "The speeds became valid again", it means the speeds were no longer below 60kt (for AoA stall warning) or below 30kt (for speed itself).
Thanks for reply. I should have quoted the report, I was referring to the reported fact that the speeds became consistent during the descent (as to be expected once the icing conditions had been left behind if the initial problem was pitot icing, which appears likely)

"Around fifteen seconds later, the speed displayed on the ISIS increased sharply towards 185 kt; it was then consistent with the other recorded speed."

It was inconsistent speeds that caused the aircraft to depart normal law and hand control to the pilots. If the speeds later became consistent there should be, IMO, logic that at least contemplates a return to normal law. 185kts is well above the lower limit where the aircraft ignores the speeds as being out of range.

Had the aircraft returned to normal law, applied AoA protection, it almost certainly would have recovered in the 30,000ft available.

Apart from that I cannot, with the information available, fault the aircraft at all.

Why is ALT 2 latched?