PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic Pilot Strike Ballot
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2011, 01:19
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not work for VS but have considerable sympathy for the pilots there. Count Niemantznarr - it is difficult to know where to begin to correct your numerous misunderstandings. Perhaps the first place to start is your concept of there being non-strikers to protect. Given the scale of BALPA membership and the almost 100% support given for strike action, I think you will find there will not be too many non-strikers to abuse. Secondly, your idea that BALPA needs brought down reveals a crazy attitude to employee rights - they have exhausted all avenues and are left with nowhere else to go. BALPA are the elected representatives of the pilots and have gone to great lengths to ensure the strike vote was carried out legally - sooner or later the pilots will go for it unless something comes in to change the situation. Finally, whatever credibility the company may have had over pay freezes was lost some time back before the last round of redundancies at VS when at the same time the CEO received a rise in basic salary from £500,000 to £700,000 and a gaggle of senior managers did similarly well.

Despite my support for the pilots' case, I also have a word of caution. It seems to me that few of the pilots realise just how precarious the financial position of Branson and VS is. You just need to go on the very old and tatty aircraft they have to see that there is little money around for refurbishment. They are now a very small player in a big market where BA/AA are starting to eat them alive. Their Upper Class is a long way short of BA's First Class and the once-innovative service they provided now looks all a little tired. It is abundantly clear that Singapore Airlines wants shot of them and no obvious buyer is in the wings. Despite the unspeakable folly of paying big managers big money while telling everyone else the cupboard is bare, I am not sure the money-in-must-exceed-money-out equation is in Virgin's favour at the moment. I really do wish the VS well, but twhe cupboard may indeed be more bare than the pilots think or believe.