PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIPA V QF Jetconnect
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2011, 22:33
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
It has nothing to do with the individual.

That is a problem. It has set a precedent.

Surely you can see that.
He can see that, thats why he wrote things like;

I think most, if not all, are quitely supportive of your cause!
At the end of the day I think a lot of you guys are saying the same thing in a different way.
Some may think that the Jetconnect guys should have stayed flying their Dash 8s and B1900's on 55k a year instead of joining the domestic and Tasman QF branded operation on 100k PA 8, 9 or 10 years ago. Fair enough, that is your opinion and if you personally would have had the foresite back then (from your position in a Kiwi turbo prop job, not from a comfy QF 2nd officers position ) to turn the job down because guys in a different country get paid more, and even though it was industry standard pay for your country on offer, then good on you. You would have been railing against basic human nature to get ahead and it would have been difficult to turn down the opportunity to double the income, security etc of your family, so good on you for having that conviction.
Others, most, just took the job if they were offered it and enjoyed flying New Zealand domestic routes in QF branded aircraft while getting paid what they obviously thought was fair. If they were getting paid the same rates as QF mainline they would have been on a much nicer wicket than AirNZ domestic 73 pilots.
Sometimes when I am sitting in my hotel in Japan or Honalulu I wish I had joined them when I had the chance. Everyone makes their own choices, and in NZ Jetconnect is a good one. Not much makes me madder than when people talk about their right to a job. You won't here people say that they have a right to a job unless they were born into very fortunate circumstances. Where you are born is happenstance, I was lucky enough to be born in Australia and I'm making the most of all the opportunities that afforded me, but I know that I don't really have a right to anything.
PS I know nobody mentioned having a right to the flying on this thread, I just felt like having a rant