PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alan Joyce Chief Executive Qantas June 22/6/11 Address to the National Press Club"
Old 25th Jun 2011, 16:51
Quill Shaft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qantas Sales Act

Part of the act reads as follows:

(e)
prohibit Qantas from taking any action to bring about a change of its company name to a name that does not include the expression "Qantas"; and
(f)
prohibit Qantas from conducting scheduled International air transport passenger services under a name other than:
(i)
its company name; or
(ii)
a registered business name that includes the expression "Qantas"; and
(g)
require that the head office of Qantas always be located in Australia; and
(h)
require that of the facilities, taken in aggregate, which are used by Qantas in the provision of scheduled international air transport services (for example, facilities for the maintenance and housing of aircraft, catering, flight operations, training and administration), the facilities located in Australia, when compared with those located in any other country, must represent the principal operational centre for Qantas; and

(i)
require that, at all times, at least two-thirds of the directors of Qantas are to be Australian citizens; and
(j)
require that, at a meeting of the board of directors of Qantas, the director presiding at the meeting (however described) must be an Australian citizen; and
(k)
prohibit Qantas, at all times, from taking any action to become incorporated outside Australia.

I think paragraph h) would be able to be put to the test in court for any planned total offshoring of QF International. In particular "used by Qantas in the provision of scheduled International air transport services"

Surely it can't be argued that JQ and its employees contribute to the aggregate mentioned in the act.?

As far as I am aware, JQ use the old IMPULSE airways AOC (domestically anyway). Also due to it being a subsidiary, JQ can be sold at any time without complying to the Act, so how can it be used in the aggregate calculation? Frequent Flyer also a subsidary.

Also JQ only have at this stage around 10 A330's and some A320's making International services.

Care to comment anyone?