PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Full Motion Simulator Vertigo?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2011, 11:59
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simulator motion sickness is a fact. We had a student who got distressed towards the end of the landing run in a 737 simulator. He was forced to close his eyes or put his head down and look at the floor as the IAS was around 60 knots and slowing. He speared off the side of the runway in a crosswind several times. He was like that through the whole type rating. He is now a F/O on 737's real time and as we have not heard about any accidents so far, we presume it was only a sim problem.

Of course air sickness is another story. During my time as a QFI one of my students was sick on almost every trip and worse during aerobatics. The flight commander decided he was a liability and was going to scrub him. As the students instructor I was ordered to note in his progress sheet how many times he was getting sick. Now apart from the air sickness problem he was a brilliant student both flying and ground subjects. So I told him to get air sickness medication. That fixed the problem. A year later he was awarded his Wings and went on to fly Mustangs. Ten years later he won a DFC flying helicopters in Vietnam

Last edited by Tee Emm; 25th Jun 2011 at 12:11.