PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The R22 corner: Owning, flying & training questions
Old 25th Jun 2011, 11:31
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's easy, 3" size timber will usually only be about fifteen feet high, if you find a gap for your fuselage to sink into then you will automatically flare off to zero airspeed as you arrive there, just a bit higher than normal. You will quite easily stop yourself before you approach anything too big.

You will find that you will be trying to cushion the touch down but there will be no reaction to your control inputs because of broken links.

The pitch change links usually break if the blades are at any incidence at all to a solid obstruction as the sudden twisting moment cannot be resisted by the puny little links.

One machine that I saw after such an incident was sitting quite upright without hardly any bent undercarriage or body damage and from a distance the blades looked quite normal. but up close they looked like corrugated iron. There is a photograph of it somewhere that I promised Pandalet that I would try to find about four years ago, still looking.