PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 24th Jun 2011, 23:30
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
As to FARP's....every aicraft demands a "FARP"....even if it is a Carrier, Air Field, as there must be fuel close enough to the action to allow the use of that particular aircraft....and the use of a "FARP as conventionally known" greatly extends the ability to extend time on station, speedy return to the area of operation, both of which are very important in combat situations.
I believe I covered the difference between FARP's in the conventional sense....but suggest every aircraft is limited by its available fuel sources. For some aircraft a FARP might very well be a KC-130 although purists would not call it a FARP. The point is turn-around time and time on target are key issues.

Load a Harrier up with things that go bang....thus limiting the amount of fuel it can carry.....put the 22 out at its max range....both operating from a Gator Navy Carrier....and how does that play? Does the Harrier follow the 22 home or stay to provide cover for the recently landed Infantry? How many Harriers can you flow into the area around the LZ while cycling 22's?

I know what it like waiting for the Cavalry to arrive while the Indians were on t he war path......it gets very lonely sometimes when you are in a bad neighborhood and the locals are showing you the door. Calling up the Arty folks and hearing that Rounds were out was mighty comforting.

Or.....do the Marines operate outside their Arty Fans on a routine basis?