PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Question for CASA: Are two CFI's better than one?
Old 6th Oct 2002, 22:37
engine out

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
To cover the point about fuel yes as an instructor I agree that it is very important for a student to fuel an aeroplane and work out how much fuel is required etc. However if a private hirer (note: already has some experience in filling aircraft and face it the facilities at WOL are not that hard to work) and is running late and asks if there is a specific pre-calculated amount in the aircraft or if not could it be filled to that level, I don't think that is too hard to organize (especially when a company may employ somebody to tend the bowser, not saying this is necessarily the case here before I get jumped on). It is the small things that keep people coming back. I think we must all remember once a pilot gets a PPL a flying school becomes semi-redundant if that said person can private hire an aircraft from someone else. if that person flys ten hours a year you lose out on around $1000 or which only a low proportion is profit I will admit, but when that person becomes 3,4, 10 or 20 you start losing a lot of money for the little work you had to put in to it. It is interesting to note that I know of at least 20 PPL's or higher rated pilots that have not moved to the closest opposition once SCA shut down, makes you wonder?

Your other point regards people conceiving instructors will do anything for money is complete bull, many will but many of the students do not understand how low the pay is unless the instructor is unproffesional and whinges to them (I have seen it). However if a private pilot wants to hire an aircraft out of hours it is not to difficult to arrange a key and maintenance release to be left for them and a sign out sheet. If payment is a worry them why hire an aircraft to the same person during working hours.

I do not have a sob story, I love GA i was merely pointing out that I had frequently got my hands dirty in flying for no reward and would do so again. I like GA so much I am in the process of setting up my own business because I am feed up with the attitude that gets pasted on to new would be pilots and fed up of seeing those who have worked so hard to get a licence then just give it away for various reasons.

Anything else need clarification?