PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2011, 16:11
GarageYears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- err (yes, whatever that means) - by a pilot, or is it appearing that the a/c was probably 'un-flyable' in this condition?
If I am following all this correctly, then the issue in hand is not one of whether it was flyable, but simply which mode (Law) the control system was operating i.e. was it Normal or Alt.

Now, not withstanding the actual control law in effect, no matter what it was, the aircraft intrinsically was flyable. The question is still centered around what caused the zoom-climb?

In Alt Law I can only get to FL380 via PF input, I can't figure any other plausible explanation.

In Normal I believe the postulated theory is the aircraft, due to blocked pitots, believed it was in an overspeed condition and applied a pitch-up command, resulting in the climb and ultimately 13 degrees NU on the THS.

The part I don't follow is how we arrive at the overspeed? Since altitude sensing (static ports open) appears to have operated throughout, then with the dynamic port (ONLY) blocked, indicated speed would fall (which appears consistent with what BEA is reporting).

There are other parts related to Normal Law operation that I am not following, but the fundamental issue is this overspeed theory. Please enlighten me?

Last edited by GarageYears; 24th Jun 2011 at 17:15. Reason: Small typo