PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 24th Jun 2011, 12:27
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
The point of my post minus the camouflage was to suggest figures lie and liars figure when it comes to Statistics. One presents the data one desires to prove one's point of view. That being said....when we use such an example as was used....the moving of one Infantry Company of Marines....a "passenger with baggage" evolution....then of course the Osprey shines. If we pick another sort of evolution....such as a "passenger flight with excess baggage, camping gear, fuel supplies, rations, water, fuel, entertainment center (comms with generators), and First Aid kits)...the Osprey begins to show its shortcomings.

In otherwords....we have to use a Universal View as the Osprey is being billed as being the replacement for machines that can do things the Osprey cannot....and that is where I find my opposition to all of these glowing reports.

The Osprey is a great machine in certain mission sets....but it isn't the "Only" right answer. When you are trying to prove you are right having invested so much money, lives, and credibility into the program.....the only resort one has is to find examples that proves you right....and avoid the hell out anythiing that proves you wrong or mistaken.

As to FARP's....every aicraft demands a "FARP"....even if it is a Carrier, Air Field, as there must be fuel close enough to the action to allow the use of that particular aircraft....and the use of a "FARP as conventionally known" greatly extends the ability to extend time on station, speedy return to the area of operation, both of which are very important in combat situations.

As Army and Marine units are operating in the same evironments in Iraq and Afghanistan....how do we arrive at such a different view of operational need in the way of aircraft? The Marines are devoted to Over The Horizion amphiibous assault because the Navy does not want to expose their ships to hostile attack and that alone is the driving force for the Marine's need for the Osprey. At what cost do we insist on having OTH capability as compared to a conventional amphibious assault capability? When was the last real Amphibious Assault? We used the "threat" of an assault during Gulf War I as a feint.