PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poor conditions in Italy
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2011, 08:08
BEagle

Received 282 Likes on 114 Posts
Some people adapt to 'foreign' food more readily than others!

Some years ago, when the Vickers FunBus used to visit Palermo quite regularly, one of the navigators ('Chuckles' - a real misery) decided that we should have a 'crew' meal with the groundcrew in a local seafood restaurant in Yes-Mondello. I suggested that perhaps they might not be too keen on the idea.

But Chuckles told me I was underestimating the groundcrew and would not be swayed. So, when the restaurant finally opened at around 2000, in we all trooped. Various wriggling things with tentacles, spiny shells, bones and fins were proffered in front of our reluctant diners; they were obviously less than enthusiastic but stuck with it. It also cost us a fortune.

The GE later told me that they'd far sooner have had a quick pizza or a 'bit of cow and chips' rather than weird Mediterranean sea monsters and pasta - I apologised and told him that, as a mere co-pilot, no-one had listened when I'd queried the suggestion. Next time we did our own thing - our Air Eng refused to have anything to do with seafood or pasta, so we found somewhere where he could get stuck in to his beloved "steak wiv' champi-nons and chips" as he termed it - whereas the groundcrew lads happily piled in to the excellent pizzeria nearby.

In flight rats were a good deal on the way home though - everyone was given an appropriate allowance (because the 'official' caterers had given another crew a nasty dose of the Palermo two-steps on a previous occasion); most then bought a donkey cock sandwich from the little shop next to the Arsolini. The hotel's water supply would often be turned off overnight, so everyone also had a water allowance. Those with any nous filled up an old Lambrusco bottle from the tap before the water went off - others actually went out and bought bottled water...

And everyone agreed that the Italians simply cannot make a good 'spag bol' in the true British manner!