PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2011, 06:03
Old Carthusian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smilin Ed

Human factors are an integral part of aircraft design.

Manufacturers build an aircraft and then publish initial procedures according to how they believe it should be operated, based on their design. These procedures are what pilots get in training. Later, based on operating experience, procedures and training can be modified. Recommendations for modification of stall recovery training have thus already been made by AB.

An aircraft which cannot be safely and efficiently operated by human pilots is deficient in human factors.
I think you misunderstand - you seem to be describing the machine/human interface. Human factors does not refer to aircraft and how they operate but to people and how they respond to the situations they find themselves in. An awful lot of the discussion in these threads has focused on the possible trouble with the systems and how this has impacted on the pilots involved (a lot of this clearly ill-informed) but very little has focused the pilots themselves. Some have certainly asked questions but answers there have been few. The key to this disaster is the flight deck crew not the systems - which no doubt can be improved, systems always can. Information so far released contains hints of complacency and casualness (for example there does not seem to have been any sense of urgency in entering an area of turbulent weather). More examination of possible mental states would I believe be more fruitful. I realise that some of us don't really want to go in this direction (I am a pilot too but not on big jets) but to understand this accident I would suggest it is necessary to leave no stone unturned no matter how painful it is. Some have already shown this aversion to commenting on the pilots and I have to regretfully submit that this is not the right approach.