PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbushe Memories (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2011, 05:55
outhouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, just stumbled on this thread, very interesting. Back in 1958 ish, my father moved from Croydon Airport To Blackbush *and moved into one of the Airwork black hangers. Two small company's set up just after the war Olly and Morton Air Services. Also Shell Aviation Services. I remember visiting and enjoying the experience the old smell in the hangar of those days, seeing engineers doing Fabric repairs and wood work, old skills not seen now.*
The chance to fly as a boy in some of the more interesting old aircraft one being Douglas Bader's Miles Gemini.*
All changed as time moved on the two companies faded away, with the closure of BB Shell went to LHR and the executive jet centre started, dad went with them to LHR but remembered his time at BB and never really settled at LHR.*
Still remember the A 30 Closing to allow aircraft to taxi across, the sound of the piston engines running up and the general excitement as a young boy seeing the oldies taking off.*
After over 45 years in the industry I look back on those exiting days spent at BB and the influence it had on my lifetime involvement in aviation.