PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia's most trusted profession survey 2011
Old 24th Jun 2011, 04:30
Anthill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A susinct reply Jack
  • 65 days a year recreation leave, with a 17.5 per cent loading. 13 weeks rec leave? BS!
  • 33 shifts of personal leave (sick, bereavement and carers) when they start the job; three more days at the end of the first year; and 18 more days each year (cumulative). This equals 54 shifts at the end of two years. Firefighters generally work four shifts a week.Sounds fair, a very hazardous job would require generous sick leave provisions.
  • One hour's pay each time a firefighter is contacted out of hours. Fair enough. I don't like work calling me during my' down time' either. Home time is when we employees relax; calls from work are obtrusive.
  • An availability allowance equal to 5.5 per cent of salary. That's fair, if staff are "available" then the employer should pay for limitations that are resultanly placed on an employees recreation time.
  • The right to take a quarter of a shift off due to sickness without any deduction in personal leave (10-hour day shifts/12-hour night shifts). If absent for half a shift, only one quarter of a shift is deducted from personal leave. The CFA must bring in anotherfirefighter for a minimum of four hours, paid at double time, to cover any part of an absent firefighter's shift. So they should only see a doctory/dentist on theor days off?
  • A change-of-residence allowance, including being reimbursed the stamp duty on buying a new home within four years.What's wrong /unusual about this (outside of aviation...}? If an employer asks staff to move then it is reasonable that the employer meets the cost associated with relocation. A mate works for BHP and they do it too.
  • The reimbursement of child care expenses if called in unexpectedly Sounds fair, do you expect that the kids get left home alone?This sort of thing is done to suit the employer who NEEDS staff to come in on days off-without it, staff are unable to help out.
  • Retirement superannuation through a defined benefit fund that delivers a lump sum worth more than eight times the final salary after 30 years service. I expect to retire on about 6-8 times my final salary too.
  • Free gym membership, if the CFA fails to provide a gym at a firestation. Gyms are in fire stations so as the Fireys keep fit. This is an organisational requirement and not a union perk.
  • An annual language allowance of $1021 a year if a language other than English is regularly used with the public.Many occupations get this.
  • A spoilt meal allowance of $14.98, if called out. Sounds fair.
  • Being paid and supplied with a CFA vehicle to attend union meetings.Delegates/management only.
  • A motor vehicle allowance of $1.10/km.If an employer needs staff to use their own vehicles..fair
  • About 25 other allowances covering rescue, fire investigation, training and first aid.And so they should...!