PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why no helo transport? Are we condemning our diggers to an easy victimology?
Old 24th Jun 2011, 04:09
BBadanov

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Shark 06: "Canberras: Combat skyspot was not direct support of the ground troops. Radar directed bombing from 20-30,000 ft."

I too was there Shark, flying Canberras on FAC directed bombing and CAS. You are right the low-birds would get down into the trees to look down at the bunkers and trenchlines for the Jade FACs. Not much of my work was conducted around the 1ATF area, as the Canberra were tasked ('fragged') - as has been noted - centrally by the ATM from 7th AF. And, we didn't do many, if any, radar-directed CSS in that area.

Also, the quoted 'history' is wrong:
"A request from COMAFV for RAAF Canberras, based at Phan Rang, to perform a photo-reconnaissance of Phuoc Tuy province was rejected by Department of Air on the grounds that 'the Canberras were there (in Vietnam) to give the pilots combat experience before they went to the United States to convert to Phantoms'."
I know that is clearly crap. Initially the crews sent over 1967-68 only did a 6-month tour in preparation of the F-111 pick-up in 1968. That was postponed. By the time I went to SVN in 1969, we were all on 12-month tours. With delays in the F-111, in 1970 the Govt made a snap decision to lease F-4Es, and the crews that went to get them in 1970 were the guys at Amberley that had down SVN tours over 67-68. No-one ever went "...to give the pilots combat experience before they went to the United States to convert to Phantoms'."

I want to correct those errors...and I do not see the need for the vitriol you are pouring out to B71.

Last edited by BBadanov; 24th Jun 2011 at 04:54.