PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2011, 02:46
RR_NDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Managing and handling" advanced Systems (Human machine interfacing issue)

What is not clear when output is ECAM message: F/CTL ALTN LAW (PROT LOST) MAX SPEED……330/.82 (actual values depend on configuration).>>> Nothing,
The System "output": Data (displays, aural info, etc.) and inputs to a/c flying surfaces (e.g. to THS, etc.) must be easily (and very fast) understood and understandable by the crew. Itīs absolutely necessary an interface designed to present in real time a clear and reliable "picture" of "whatīs going on" (and changing) in the plane.

How would you suggest presenting this more clearly to crew? >>> In similar cases, UAS (reason for Law change)
If you are referring to the intermittent STALLSTALL, I fully agree this should have never been silenced when AOA was above the threshold value whether speed was valid or not. >>> I am referring to all System outputs that could difficult (and dangerously, delay) proper and fast crew actions.
And also even potentially creating "extra CRM issues".

the system doesn’t make up the inputs itself >>> When System changes its mode (for any reason) itīs "doing an input" (itīs "changing" the plane.). And this could be subject of improvements. Iīll repeat: Airbus SAS share of responsibility in dealing with this effort is an opportunity for the company that introduced the commercial "advanced planes"...
My comments are not just on AF447 case. Other incidents/accidents can be related to these issues. And are not for just A (or B) but for "advanced planes", an important, "powerful" (and evolving )trend.

Last edited by RR_NDB; 24th Jun 2011 at 13:31. Reason: text impvmt, glitches corr.