PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2011, 02:14
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
PJ, thanks for that graphic, A33Zab, much thanks for your diagram.

In walking through PJ's proposed event sequence, it's the same place I get stuck as the first read through I did of the second interim report.

I still don't understand ...
Originally Posted by the report
At 2 h 10 min 51, the stall warning was triggered again. The thrust levers were positioned in the TO/GA detent and the PF maintained nose-up inputs. The recorded angle of attack, of around 6 degrees at the triggering of the stall warning, continued to increase. The trimmable horizontal stabilizer (THS) passed from 3 to 13 degrees nose-up in about 1 minute and remained in the latter position until the end of the flight.
Was the pilot flying (or think he was flying)
a g command,?
a nose attitude?
an AoA (with no AoA reference in the cockpit)
another profile and expecting something else to happen next?

For that matter, what response was he expecting from the aircraft?

A guess here: he expected to escape the stall alert. Apparently, we go down the timeline and the stall alert went away. Did the crew deem the maneuver successful? Based on pre-event conversation, there was still probably a concern with altitude, since they were worried about their scheduled climb and the temps at altitude not developing as forecast.

This leads to a question I still have: why no deliberate act to descend with stall warning no longer active, as they'd been concerned with altitude just a few minutes previous to all this going down. (Guess: deeply concerned with airspeed, or its lack of indication)
==
If PJ's sequence is about right, the Captain re-enters and has to figure out what's going on while they are still in a diagnostic mode. He has something between two and three minutes to assess and call for the correct remedial actions( X, Y, Z and beyond) until recovery.

It appears that he may have suggested, or ordered, engines to idle, nose down commands ... and the stall alert goes off again.

With no disrespect to the dead intended, did the next CVR recorded voice transmission come out as "what's it doing now" in three part harmony?

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 24th Jun 2011 at 02:25.