PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 22:29
Zero-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simplethings......

Zero.
I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain on here about what a surge is or how it occurs. It's been done to death on numerous occasions. If you're that interested, try a search. Far more learned people than I have written it up.
Why not? You started the brickbat throwing or is it a case of, as FP said “do you really know if what you said was true?.. “

however I have taken your advice and have found this….

Quote….a surge is the complete breakdown of pressurized flow through successive compressor stages resulting a flow reversal of the air in the compressor.

Which to my untrained perception is almost exactly what Sam was saying, that there is a reversal of airflow to that which is normal… ie through the LP compressors towards the HP compressors… but you said that Low Pressure to High Pressure flow can not be achieved, which seems to me that you are saying that any gas turbine can not possibly work… or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

As for my expirence (sic); you don't know me from Adam, and I certainly wouldn't profess to being a 'master', just a humble B1, but any schoolboy will tell you that low pressure cannot 'flow' to a high pressure area.

Ok… so prove what you are advocating.. I am not asking a school boy I am asking you...even a “humble B1” ,whatever that is, should be able to explain to a mere novice like myself your theories?

It's nice to see somebody wishing to expand their knowledge, but don't come here, rolling you eyes at someone you don't know. Save that for when you KNOW someone's spouting bolleux.

Thank you kind sir.. perhaps the eye rolling was a bit unfair but I still say prove it.. how do I know if you are not spouting said B******s

Alternatively, stick to what you know.

That is my point, I don’t know and I was looking to you to enlighten me as to the truth of how a surge works as you seem to know enough to criticise Sam’s concept

Maybe VTS management and 'engineers' should do the same!

Can’t comment on that because as I said I don’t know about their expertise…

Last edited by Zero-1; 24th Jun 2011 at 15:39.