PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 18:27
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
more automation?

Some nice points, Garage.

Some do not realize that one of my original jets was the VooDoo, and it had the dreaded "pitch-up". Couldn't deep stall it due to the aero and c.g., but it had two limiters when not in autopilot control stick steering - a basic AoA limiter that we could overcome with 65 pounds of back stick, and a 'pusher" that snatched the stick outta your hands. This was back in early 60's, folks. So it has been tried and flown a long time ago. FBW systems don't act like that! You can pull back at 100 pounds and the command will be "x" gees, or "x" AoA, and if more than the design then that's all you'll get until airspeed is too slow. In other words, the jet will give you all that the designers figure you'll need.

One of my problems with the 'bus is that it seems to ignore the AoA when other air data is outta the loop. I have no problem with the basic "limits" implemented for the 'bus. They seem very reasonable for the mission and the aircraft's aero capabilities. Although I have my personal ideas of implentation, I'll stick with what we have to work with today except ignoring AoA.

So we don't need bitchin' betty telling you to lower the nose! And how is the 'bus gonna do this if it has ignored the AoA? Huh? just use the AoA limiter function and the sucker will gradually lower the nose to reach the 1 gee baseline ( corrected for pitch, so it will be lower than 1 gee in a climb or dive). The problem is if you are climbing at an extreme attitude, then you run outta air molecules over the THS too quickly to get the nose down!!

I also caution folks about the "direct law". Sounds like the jet would fly like a "normal" jet, but it ain't so. There are still control surface deflection rates plus pitch rates computed independently of air data and such in the way. Further, the 'bus ain't no F-22, and getting 3 or 4 gees within a half a second might be a bit disconcerting, ya think? Only way around this, way I see it, is to employ control stick feedback as we now see in several PC flight sims. In other words, you get a "feel" of how much you are asking the beast to do. Only problem is that kinda system need some gee and "q" inputs. Gee ain't a problem, but when the design ignores speed under certain circumstances, then all bets are off. And such is the 'bus control logic at present.

respectfully,