PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why the UK is starting to get me down!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 16:51
Alan_D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree the WX can be a pain in the a$$. I did my PPL in 2009 over 9 months, and over-booked allowing for weather cancellations.
I used the majority of my holiday from work that year on flying, booking 1/2 days off to make the most of my available days.
I had an agreement with my boss that I could cancel holiday at short notice (due to weather) and work, in return for canceling flying lessons at short notice if he needed me to work on a previously booked flying holiday.
Luckily I only needed to cancel a few lessons on good weather days, but canceled loads of holiday at short notice, and re-used those days later in the year.

I also got stuck in the circuit rut, and got increasingly frustrated at poor landings etc. Luckily my excellent instructor had spotted this, and one summer evening took me on a relaxed navigation and general handling flight - which was just what I needed - it broke the routine nicely.
Not long afterwards I went solo.

As IO540 says, things are easier once you have the bit of paper, and get some experience under your belt.