PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia's most trusted profession survey 2011
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 13:46
priapism

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't speak for the firies , but as a paramedic, metro based I work an average 42 hour week consisting of 2 x10 hour day shifts then 2 x 14 hour nightshifts , 10 hours break between the 2 nights. In airline terms it is not a 4 on 4 off roster , more a 5 on 3 off because the 0700 (usually later) finish after the last nightshift is counted as a day off. My $69700 includes shift allowances and we get bugger all down time compared to the smokies. There is a built in factor of 2 hours overtime per rostered fortnight. Doesn't amount to much. Rural paramedics earn more because they remain on call after their normal duty hours working 8 days on and 6 days off, thus getting extra pay for the call outs. Their down time is generally much higher than metro's.

The job now requires a minimum Advanced Life Support qualification which means 3 years uni /on road and a hell of a lot of hoops to jump through clinically.

I make extra working voluntary overtime shifts , but I find it too fatiguing to do a lot. The nature of the work can do your head in at times. I love it though - it's just so poorly remunerated. Should have learned to fly instead of chucking biscuits for so long.

I pissed myself laughing at Joyce sprouting gloom and doom and suggesting an Ansett style end for QF - as he half billion dollar profit was forecast. ( in a bloody difficult year). Someone should point out to him that if Ansett had ever made a profit like that it would still be in existence. What a tosser!

Stick to your guns QF drivers- it's a hard road to get where you are now - don't let this little prick con you.