PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is aviation in Africa really unsafe?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 11:31
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I used to work in Saigon, not Ho Chi Minh City, and when I left, we were winning! Don't ask me what went wrong there.... Never mind.

Zimbabwean Ridgebacks. Whatever next?

I bet you told her about how people used to visit Rhodesia to see the ruins of Zimbabwe but now they visit Zimbabwe to see the ruins of Rhodesia! That was mean of you, when I simply would have set the dog on her.

No, when you learn all about aviation from your Big Book of Planes, all about ICAO and all, and then go out into the hard, cruel world to see its reality, well, that is about like learning about 'racism' in Sociology Class and then seeing how that one plays out on the ground in Africa.

The first time I heard one Nigerian call another a 'yellow man' I thought, 'Gee, they never told us about this when we were discussing "racism," it was all about de White Mastah and his sjambok! Why did they leave this out?' Well, Dummy, because it would have made things too damned complicated!

Here we have to deal with mixing those two ideals, aviation and race relations, in the real world. Personally, I think I would rather play with a hand grenade with the pin straightened; it is safer. Perhaps we had better say 'aviation and cultural differences,' since I really do not see this as a black and white thing. You get good guys and muppets in both colors, so that the African safety problems the Doctor is asking about, I do not see those coming from race.