PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 10:09
Old Carthusian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machinebird

Just remember, we are outside the aircraft trying to look in to what must have happened. It is very different when you are in the aircraft, with limited and confusing displays, feeling unusual forces, and the aircraft isn't responding in a way you were trained for.
We have to remember that what seems so foolish to us outside observers might make perfect sense given the inside viewpoint. Try to put yourself in the others guy's shoes given the information he was given to act on. The results might surprise you.
If the aircraft had been able to keep its airspeed measurement systems going, none of this would have happened.
This is just my point - the human factor. Whatever happened on that night was because the humans involved did not respond in an appropriate way to the situation they were in. Nothing more, nothing less. To them it might have been appropriate but it wasn't. I suggest you reread pickyperkins (No 257) last post with the most interesting extract about what to do when in a stall. Note the date of the text - this is not new at all. There are two significant questions which in fact are key and that have nothing to do with the aircraft systems - Why did the aircraft fly into a CB when others avoided it? and Why did the PF pull up on the stick for such a long time and induce a stall? I would also suggest more caution in your final statement - you cannot know that if the airspeed systems functioned flawlessly then the accident wouldn't have happened. You can only surmise.