PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 05:33
3holelover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurbineD
Now there are multiple causes besides these two, computer failures, computer logic failures, computer messages that say one thing but mean another, nonexistent training for events that occur and the overall reliance on a man-made system that is deemed to prevent human error while ignoring the possibility that a system error could result in the same disastrous conclusion. The sophistication of today's FBW aircraft now translates into accident investigations, they in turn, become far more complex in determining root causes and recommendation measures.
[emphasis added]
While all of that is inarguably true, the notion that a "pilot" can be so confused by his training that he's forgotten how to recognize and recover from a stall, is, to me, NOT "sophistication".

An airplane is just a dumb, flying machine. A stupid, GIGO, collection of 'stuff'... and it can fly. ...Just like the damned Wright Flyer. ...Forget how to make it fly right, and you're toast.

In this case, adding to the confusion (made extremely evident in these threads) over just how the beast behaves, ...this crew (a pair of FO's) were thrown into a nightmare.... Bad weather, lost airspeed indication, multiple failure annunciations, loss of confidence in any indications (apparently?), conflicting indications, inopportune loss, and then recovery of valid stall warning, darkness of night, absent Captain, poor to non-existent stall recognition/recovery training.....etc....

I don't think they had any chance, given all that.