PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia's most trusted profession survey 2011
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 02:13
tail wheel

Received 232 Likes on 123 Posts
A small commuter (say a Metro or similar) Captain with an average of 15 passengers aboard per sector, doing 4 sectors a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year. That equals 13800 pax per year. If you can put a value on a human life multiply it by 13800 and you have a figure for how much an average pilot is responsible for each year. That of course is the smaller end of the turboprop/jet transport spectrum.
Gordon. I think you will find that is a fallacious argument which can also be applied to bus or train drivers, motor mechanics, aircraft engineers, air traffic controllers, medical professionals et al.

Rather than seeking the social status accredited to one who can add the adjective "professional" as a prefix to their vocational title, I suspect what pilots are actually seeking is remuneration which acknowledges and reflects:
  • An adequate education in formative years;
  • The significant cost and time of initial pilot training;
  • An indenture over many years where increasing levels of skill are acquired and achieved;
  • A life long technological learning process;
  • The requisite skills and experience to determine the correct decision in continually changing and possibly stressful circumstances;

All in a continuously changing socio-economic labour market.

From my perspective, I would prefer financial recognition of my qualifications, skills and experience, rather than the right to use the adjective "professional" before my vocational title.

My 2 cents worth!