PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 19:59
henra

Received 108 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by gums
I see a design that continues to “protect” the humans trying to pilot the thing when “normal” flight conditions do not exist.
gums,

Here I respectfully disagree.
What I see is an aircraft that has stopped protecting the humans and sadly with the known consequences. In protected law (read Normal Law) this would likely not have happened. Unfortunately there was no Plan B for the protections and so they quit subsequently putting all eggs in the basket of the Pilots.
Reading the bits n'pieces we have it appears this handover of the eggs didn't work well. The pilots occur to have been surprised when they found the eggs in their basket. This is where I think closer investigation is warranted.

I see a design that has not considered the possibility of the aircraft to reach an aerodynamic condition from which recovery is almost impossible, especially with all the “control laws”
I'm still not convinced of this. We do not have sufficent information to be safely able to deduct this from my PoV.
But even if it would finally turn out that the condition was unrecoverable at AoA = 60° it has to be noted that the Aircraft shouldn't have been at this AoA in the first place. Once your 200t Airliner is at Aoa =60° all bets are off anyway. And that statement I would make for all makes and types of Heavies.
These are neither Christen Eagles nor F-16 which are designed for extreme maneuvering. Try this even in a simple piston twin and chances are you're equally dead.