PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why the UK is starting to get me down!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 18:58
IanPZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the UK is starting to get me down!

I thought I would use my favourite forum to have a good old rant. The UK weather is just starting to get to me!

I started learning at the beginning of the year, and was advised that I really needed a lesson every week in order to get a good level of progress.....

So, like a good student, I booked a lesson every week, regular as clockwork, every Sunday. I think that I had a couple of weeks (perhaps as many as 3) since the beginning of the year where I couldn't fly, cos I was on holiday (I think that's allowed) and one week where I had pulled a muscle in my back, and the instructor and I agreed that if I can't lean down to check the tyres as part of the pre-flight, then perhaps I shouldn't be doing the lesson.

But that still left 20 good weeks to have flown, and in some cases I even booked a midweek evening lesson when I knew I couldn't make the Sunday.

So here I am, mid-June, having done 10.5 hours, and my last lesson, last Sunday, having done 5 take-offs and landings! Now, I wouldn't say I have the hang of it, or even that I know what I am doing. In fact, I still think the instructor is being kind when he says I am not bad, and I truly think he is flying the plane down, and helping the whole way (he says he isn't!)

BUT, why oh why oh why when I am just getting the hang of it does the weather go pants again. Out of 20 booked lessons, I have had 10. It's not the instructor being overly cautious. Some of them we can't see the mast that is a whole 2km away (so no VFR flying), and some, like today, there are 28knot crosswinds. I know it doesn't help that the runways are 12,15,30 and 33, and prevailing wind in the UK is SW, but surely its just some greater force out to get me, in case I find out what is going on above the clouds!!!

So, please, people, give me a pep talk, tell me its not always like this, or at least show sympathy. Anyone who feels they need to tell me thats life, just don't post (or at least not today.....perhaps by tomorrow I'll be less grumpy)

Anyone fancy putting some silver lining on what seems a lot of very windswept grey clouds?

Go on, help a friend :-)