PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'll talk, you fight - PM
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 16:45
minigundiplomat

Received 189 Likes on 72 Posts
Like so many of the RAF's recent woes, this can be laid firmly at the door of the decision in the 90's to stop promoting leaders, and start promoting managers [or failing that, people with plenty of secondary duties and a penchant for saying 'yes'].

It is the role of the command chain to be honest with our masters, whether military or political. For too long, our 'leaders' have just told their bosses everything is rosy, and we can, we can, we can.

Open management/leadership is a cornerstone of any organisation, and the CEO needs to know when a problem is developing, not have it brushed under the carpet in order for someone to get promoted.

If you hide the problems in manpower, to secure equipment during a review of resources, you cannot then cry foul when held to your promises and told to deliver.

That said, the I won't be voting at the next election, for the first time in 27 years. 'Call me Dave' has failed to impress on a number of levels, and I could never bring myself to vote for 'the other lot'.