PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you call another A/C?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 12:49
SlipSlider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Cessna, as a standard practice you should not assume the right to talk aircraft-to-aircraft on any active frequency, no matter whether A/G, AFIS, or full ATC, without the specific approval of the ground operator. Out of hours, certainly on the first two, is perhaps another matter; but even then calls should be short and to the point.

In the case you quote, if you were really concerned about a conflict, give your standard position call “overhead / dead-side” etc, ending with “request other traffic”. Either the ground operator or the other aircraft should respond.

In reality, safety (although I detest the current catch-all over-use of that word) is the priority, and any reasonable use of the radio to achieve that end in my opinion is valid, irrespective of what the book says.

As an example when flying in to an event at a well-known airfield with (at that time) A/G radio, on very short-final when a Cherokee appeared large in the windscreen right above, having apparently cut in front of the others on final behind, descending steeply and at almost the same speed. Gulp! The call “?X Cherokee immediate go-around NOW, you’re right on top of me and I’ve nowhere to go” is not in CAP413, but it worked.

I’m slightly bemused that your profile says you have a PPL, and are current on 8 or 9 different types …. but have no R/T licence ….

I take the view that nobody should issue a reprimand of any kind over the radio, especially to a student, as it is likely to achieve nothing but distraction.

Last edited by SlipSlider; 22nd Jun 2011 at 14:08.