PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Broome Runway Extension
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2002, 09:44
Hawk400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Batch,

In actual fact the 24 threshold will remain the same. The extensions at each end will increase the take-off distance available by 500m whilst the landing distance will only increase by 250m. ie the extension on 10 will be used for aicraft landing on 24. if you know what I mean.

The purpose of the upgrade was to allow bigger aircraft like the -800 to come in from Perth and Alice(Broome only gets the -300 at the mo). This hopefully will encourage Virgin to start services as they won't have any weight restrictions. A -800 of QF's did come in once but was weight restricted. Even then it still dented the runway. The aircraft was one of their new ones called "Broome", hence the big media fiasco when it arrived.

I've even heard of potential International flights on the cards from Singapore this time, not Bali.

I'm not sure about the requirements for Fokker 100's but I reckon Skywest would seriously be considering coming into Broome when they receive their 1st 100. They'd want to get in before DJ.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers