PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alan Joyce Chief Executive Qantas June 22/6/11 Address to the National Press Club"
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 10:23
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
news.com.au comments

From news.com.au:

Comments on this story
Jboyle Posted at 8:37 AM Today
Qantas, you answer is stop OVER PRICING your fares for certain times of day for longhauls. BA ( British Airways) charges the same prices any time of same day for a flight Sydney - London. Qantas charges multiple prices and is few hundred more $$$ for peak times than BA it's Alliance partner. Work that out !! Apart from arrogant greed, qantas treats flyers with pricing contempt. So I fly BA and Qantas can go jump.
Comment 1 of 23
Craig of Perth Posted at 8:39 AM Today
QANTAS flights are typically more expensive than other operators on the same route, who also provide better service, and QANTAS is losing money? Who's at the financial helm of this woeful organization?
Comment 2 of 23
Barney of Wollongong Posted at 8:43 AM Today
They can start by overhauling their cabin crews on the Syd-LA route. These people have no idea what service is.I gave up flying International with Qantas years ago & I fly this route every month.
Comment 3 of 23
Joe Bloggs Posted at 8:57 AM Today
Speak to the accountants in Qantas - they know why international is losing money - Qantas long haul has been heavily subsidising Jetstar since it was just a thought in Geoff Dixon's head. A truly horrendous conspiracy that has been designed to destroy the 'Qantas' in Qantas.
Comment 4 of 23
Marc of Canberra Posted at 9:31 AM Today
Raise the ticket prices and lower quality of service. Isn't that Qantas' best (and only) way to raise revenue?
Comment 5 of 23
Richie Posted at 10:53 AM Today
I used to fly Qantas but the service is shocking! Many people feel the same but no one cared at the top to make even a small change! Maybe it's time to rip the crop of its own labor.
Comment 6 of 23
Matthew of Mundaring WA Posted at 10:55 AM Today
Stop spending ridiculous amounts of money on auto-check-in and baggage experiments which kill off any human interaction at all, and go back to being just a good full service airline like back in the 70s and 80s where staff and customers are the biggest assets, not broken A380s.
Comment 7 of 23
Flown Qantas too many times before but never again of Virgin Australia 737-800 in the sky Posted at 11:24 AM Today
And so the Jetstarisation of the once proud Qantas brand continues. The national carrier is now the national joke. This is what happens when you promote the former head of your LCC subsidiary to the top job, they bring their existing mindset with them. Maybe if Qantas focused on being competitive for price and service while not continually cutting back the perks of the frequent spender programme that is Qantas Frequent Flyer the travelling public and once loyal customers may give them another chance. Qantas should just hurry up and rebrand all the red 'Roo tails with Jetstar, re-register all their jets in NZ and be done with it. I guess they may just fly the odd occasional international route with a red kangaroo tail just to remind them of what once was and bring a nostalgic tear to their eye.
Comment 8 of 23
Steve Posted at 11:36 AM Today
I'm just waiting for the re-launch of Virgin's Velocity program. I'm hoping (as a Qantas Gold Frequent Flyer) they offer a status match as well. My flights up until the end of August are booked with Qantas. After that I'm becoming a born-again Virgin.
Comment 9 of 23
Will use up FF while I can Posted at 11:44 AM Today
Booked a flight to Japan in November. Cancelled with full refund to due disaster. I needed to phone up 7 times to get my refund. Oh, by the way, the refund came in 4 cheques for 4 people (Cheques!!!). Any oh, yeah, it took only a month for the four cheques to arrive. (It took a button click to grab my funds though).
Comment 10 of 23
Phil of Sydney Posted at 11:53 AM Today
For those commenting on QANTAS pricing, I think the answer was in the article - "UNIONS". They'll do to QANTAS what they did to Australian manufacturing.
Comment 11 of 23
Grant of Melbourne Posted at 11:53 AM Today
I was a gold frequent flyer on my way to plat. 15 years of flying with them - arguing with my boss that despite the cost it was a better airline and paying more. Then something happened to customer service and they started behaving like a cut price airline on international routes and the QC became a nasty place to get a quick snack and a drink. No more upgrades, no more happy staff, no good customer service and the prices kept going up. I would pay more if the service was better. Instead I am just about to go Gold of VAustralia, fly domestic on Virgin Blue, love the new Melbourne Virgin Lounge, love the happy and vibrant international staff (and the domestics staff are also really nice), love the celanliness of the planes and the new 777 layout. Qantas I would come back but you have to up your customer service, pay your staff and clean up your act. We aint cattle! Oh and that new Platinum Plus level annoys the economy passengers coz thats your focus on top of the town and even Platinum flyers - my colleagues - hate the fact that you upped the bar.
Comment 12 of 23
DS of Brisbane Posted at 11:57 AM Today
Its simple Qantas is an over priced airline! Im flying to London in August 1st Class and the price is $19,394 verus $12,920 on Emirates. As departing Brisbane you only get plonked in Business class to Asia on Qantas whereas Emirates it luxury all the way! Im flying Emirates. Its common sense. Lower the price of the product and demand will increase!
Comment 13 of 23
Ozaway Posted at 12:08 PM Today
I stopped flying the Roo 10 years ago Asia-Oz Today I actually had a need to book Sin-Syd, then BNE then Bne-Sin. After 5 attempts and the web going back to the start again page I find booking QF is nearly a grand dearer than if I fly MAS or SING and then fly anyone to Brisbane. It is also cheaper to fly Air Asia lie flat beds and take a flight to Sydney,I HAVE GIVEN UP ON QF AGAIN!!!
Comment 14 of 23
jj of adelaide Posted at 12:28 PM Today
Too little too late, the downward spiral is about to hit the ground. Maybe that will open up more routes to the good carriers
Comment 15 of 23
John of Perth Posted at 12:33 PM Today
'International operations are not sustainable' was one interesting statement.
Comment 16 of 23
Archie Posted at 12:39 PM Today
Barney of Wollongong - Try flying United from SYD to LA Service was exactly like the two Hosts from the commedy show Full frontal!
Comment 17 of 23
That'sbusiness Posted at 12:56 PM Today
Qantas, that is business. Learn to take the good with the bad and cut the execs wages down. problem solved. You should have funds in a contingency account that covers these situations, poor money management.
Comment 18 of 23
JG Posted at 12:57 PM Today
Was the grounding of the A380 taken into account and the fact that they are looking at compensation from Rolls Royce?
Comment 19 of 23
Ryan Melrose of Baulkham Hills Posted at 1:12 PM Today
So you've known about this international problem for 15 years, and only now are you starting to deal with it.. That is pathetic. Lets hope we get even more competition in aviation and this company can stop acting like a monopoly.
Comment 20 of 23
Qantas Boi of Melbourne Posted at 1:25 PM Today
This is so sad - Qantas has really lost the spirit of Australia. I am a Qantas fan, however this is just sad. A recent trip to the UK in peak season and there were loads of empty seats in the 747. Qantas is by far the most expensive, and you have Singapore, BA, Emirates and Etihad, even Malaysian that offer a better service for a lesser ticket price for the same travel period. The inflight safety video is so much more relaxed and John Trivolta, please! Qantas is known for its safety world wide, and now the demonstration is so relaxed. Keep that professional image - re market yourself, re launch like then new Virgin Australia campaign. Increase safety standards, re capture that 'spirit'. Retrain your cabin staff to be friendly and assist. Refit the older fleet - comm'on Qantas!!!
Comment 21 of 23
Former FFS Posted at 1:35 PM Today
Looks like Alan Joyce hasn't done much of a job. If he hadn't have scared off many long standing customers he could have done ok maybe. But running an international airlines isn't the job for a penny pinching miser.
Comment 22 of 23
peter of Sydney Posted at 1:41 PM Today
It's been going downhill for some time. Looks like it will continue.
Comment 23 of 23

Read more: Qantas flags $550 million profit despite $200 million hit | News.com.au