PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alan Joyce Chief Executive Qantas June 22/6/11 Address to the National Press Club"
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 09:41
'holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are some comments from those that pay the bills. Out of 12 pages I don't think I read 1 post that was supportive of AJ or QF management. From the Australian Frequent Flyer forum:

QF CEO speech - dom fare restrucure, profit update, RR settlement, Int Route changes?

That strategy (If correct,this is News Ltd after all)may well save QF some money,but does it degrade (further?) the QF mainline brand?
I think Qantas as a brand is on the way out on the International market.
They seem to want to cut routes and would NEVER want to fly Jetstar Internationally !
This would be a big disappointment for me and would push me to another airline. Simple.
It certianly will be a shame if the announcements today are along the lines of transferring more QF routes to JQ. That won't save Qantas International. The further reduction in network and product will hurt the profitability of the international business because there will be even fewer reasons to choose Qantas.
I'm not liking the sound of this.

If QF pretty much gets restricted to A380 routes and current 747 routes then I'm well on my way to jumping. Which is a real shame because I'd like to keep a foot in oneworld, and QF is the cheapest way to do so. Otherwise, I may just switch to Star Alliance + Velocity.
I'm looking forward to the plethora of excuses Joyce will come up with to hide the incompetence of QF management, who in my opinion, are responsible for the sad state of the Int'l business.

With that said, not a good sign! I point blank refuse to fly JQ, and if further International Routes are shafted, that may influence my domestic preferences towards VA.
Originally Posted by Nigelinoz
Oh well,at least they are still making a profit,and in the aviation industry that's an achievement in itself,could be so much better though.
If Qantas was an American carrier, sure that's an achievement. Anywhere else - nothing to write home about. Mind you, if Qantas was making a loss, that would be a very good reason to string up Joyce and hang him.

And you are right: it could be so much better.
On the merits of Qantas and its potential, profit is not really a problem compared to how it is achieving it at the expense of passenger base, public image and long term resilience.
Please don't tell me this means Jetstar is the way to go, i.e. this is the "new airline required for the times". Because you've got to be joking me...
Can someone please remind the Qantas CEO that natural disasters and what not are no excuse for not providing an adequate airline with good service?

Trying to cover the veil of "unprofitability" and everything else with complaining about ME competition and fuel costs with the reasons of volcanoes, ash cloud and floods is cheap, cowardly, ineffective, un-Australian and unethical.
Let's bring up Ansett and put it in the same sentence as QF
Outsourcing here we come!
Perhaps Mr Joycehad his blinkers on around the time of the AN demise.

That was a comedy of errors, starting with TNT/News Corp, ending with NZ buying an airline it couldn't afford to veto SQ, and then ditching AN to save it's own arse.

I dislike Mr Joyce more and more....
Although I've only had a piecemeal feed from the @AusBT Twitter stream, needless to say I'm not impressed by Joyce's rather bland and predictable speech. It really doesn't communicate that he will do anything positive about the whole situation, and just seems like a whole big blame and whine game. There wasn't anything absolutely fair that he said about QF that will remedy its current problems in an active manner.

I truly think that the only way Qantas will drive its international business back up is with ambitious investment into its product, combined with very active drives to improve its basic service (e.g. simple face-to-face interactions). This will certainly cost it money and carry financial risk, but trying to work with what you've got right now is ridiculous, and diverting the responsibility of international carriage to Jetstar is not a fix, that's just a dodge, and a degrading one to the QF image.
"Qantas wants to use satellite navigation to shorten flight paths and save tonnes of carbon emissions."

Perhaps I should withhold before jb747 comments on this, but in my immediate opinion more stupid words have not been spoken.
NGCI elimanted queues! WTF, when did he last check in!
Don't like the sound of this, of late anything from QF which has promised "more benefit" has been bad... QF promises of good always = bad...
If I was a QF shareholder, I'd be doing one of two things
1 - Doing all I could to get Joyce out of the top job...
Failing that
2 - Selling my QF shares...
press club gave AJ a "Gold Card" as a momento of his visit,comment on Twitter I'm sure they'll soon be "enhancing" his privileges back down to the level of silver

Hard to speculate on this without a more rigorous breakdown, but wouldn't part of the reason that QFF is so successful be due to a) people flying on QFi and b) people being able to redeem points on QFi? Surely the QFF contribution has to be attributed in some part to the other entities, the loss of which would end up hurting QFF as well?
Keep weakening the QF network, and you keep weakening the proposition that is QFF.

Redeeming on JQ is just not the same
QF international has the wrong fleet(767's needing replacement with new Boeing Dreamliner), the wrong configuration(no first class out of Perth) and the wrong routes(PER-SIN and PER HKG do not work when it is quicker to go to Europe via the middle east.)
I think QF international's biggest problem is its marketing. Does it spend any money on international marketing? I see large 1/4 - full page adverts in the AFR and in the West Australian offering domestic business class service/experience to SYD and MEL from PER but next to nothing about QF international.
Firstly IMO to be competitive on the international routes, Qantas has to have a serious look at their fare structures and the cabin service offered to thier paying passengers. I fly to LHR on an annual basis and up till five years ago, I flew with Qantas on every occasion. Regretfully, their fares went up and cabin service declined, hence I now fly with other carriers who's fares and all round service are excellent value. If I was Alan Joyce right now, I would be seriously looking at the positions vacant columns in Saturdays papers. To me, he just doesnt cut the mustard and gives me the feeling that he is way out of his depth.
Great to see he's winning hearts and minds ....