PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - restricted class 1 - what are the prospects?
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 09:38
vfrrider481

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyon,

I suspect you have hit a so called nail on the head. Whilst formally there should not be any distinction between a full class 1 and an OML restricted pilot, I strongly suspect that it will influence things.

Airline recruiters are permanantly swamped with ideal applicants and even in flush times the market for competing pilots can be hard. There is nothing so valuable as experience, but noting so hard to get as experience.

If one had already been flying in an airline for some years they are stuck with you because of the disability discrimination legislation. As an aspiring pilot the airlines are comparing you with hundreds of wannabe's and being realistic they will be nervous of employing you for the "what if" scenario that would probably never happen. Given two cnadidates of equal aptitude and ability it would be reasonable for them to want the pilot with no limitations.

I hope that in you quest that there are some enlightened HR managers out there.

I would recommend speaking to some HR departments although I would exercise caution because they won't know you and will inherantly tow a party line for fear of being seen as discriminating.

As an aside, have you clarified the situation with the CAA and OAA regarding solo operation as required during the flight training process. It may be that the multi pilot licence (MPL) route may be more beneficial given your circumstances.

I would urge you to look towards the mentored/sponsored schemes where you are guaranteed a job at the end, rather than spend £70k+ getting the licence before hoping an airline takes you on. At least that way you can clear the big HR hurdle first and concentrate on the flying afterwards.

As a seperate issue, can I ask how you went about dealing with the CAA for the OML restricted class 1. Indeed, having achieved a significant victory I am sure others would love to know what hurdles you found and how you and your doctors overcame any difficulties with the CAA. If you read my "brain tumour" post one or two lines below you will see why I have a personal interest!

Well done for a significant victory and remember, if you don't try you'll never know but it would be a rocky and potentially impassable road due to short sighted misplaced beliefs.

Kind regards,
VFR