PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'll talk, you fight - PM
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 09:03
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not being from UK it is probably impertinent to express an opinion but what the heck.
To me it seems refreshing to have a poli/PM who speaks his mind. No politically correct minder telling him what to say, or how to put it so he doesn't offend anyone.
The oposite of spin.
It seemed the Brits were sick of spin with the previous incumbent. Well this is it - no spin. And refreshing.
I can't say what he said isn't basically true.
In our neck of the wood we have more and more press conferences from defence force chiefs than I ever recall in the past. And they (def chiefs) now speak poli-speak, and are ever so politically correct.
Surely defence force chiefs should express there opinion re what they can and can't do, with the resources supplied, to the politicians (and I heard in this case the defence chief apparently said it to a parliamentary committee and it was leaked).
Defence force chief may well have to tell poli that the service can't provide the were with all to do what the poli wants to announce as foreign policy. Suddenly the poli may see there are consequences to the cuts to them and their ambitions on the world stage.
John
Good morning John,
Well said and I guess Cameron did not pull any punches but I am slightly confused as to the target.

The officer involved most certainly did NOT speak out of turn, I would have respected him more if he had of done. I am with all due respect to our Brylcreem boys and now girls, more disappointed regarding the lack of support shown to this officer by his immediate boss.

My personal thoughts regarding those above the rank of anyone that does the actual fighting is that they are usually more interested in their very own career development as opposed to what is best for those they serve\represent. (note the word 'usually' and please observe it is NOT the word 'always' as I note the First Sea Lord had the audacity to publicly voice his concerns regarding similar issues)

Air Chief Marshal Bryant was asked in private and in confidence what his opinion was. He gave that opinion in a way I fear he would not have divulged publicly. If this officer had known the information was going to be leaked with his name at the top of the paper, does anyone hear honestly believe he would have uttered a word out of line?

If the Head of the RAF were to now come out publicly and stand by every word of this Air Chief Marshal then I would start to rethink my opinions of these people that I say again are usually more interested in titles than they are in there profession.

The senior service has made some effort to tell it how it is but where was Air Chief Marshal Bryant on that day? Where was our comrade in arms when the Royal Navy were saying very similar words IN PUBLIC and standing by what was being said?

Is it time for our Armed Services to develop a back bone and speak out for those they represent? Enough and no further might well be too stronger a wording, but they are paid to give advice and saying they do not have the equipment, or manpower to carry out the requests of Her Majesty's Government is something both the Army and Royal Airforce did when asked their opinions regarding the mounting of certain operations. They have done it before and not been sacked... Let them do it again whenever they feel they are correct in their assessment.

I guess we will have to wait until these folks retire before they develop an ability to say anything controversial.