PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - restricted class 1 - what are the prospects?
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 08:51
Eyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies White Knight and millerscourt.

I do not share White Knight's opinion as loomimg pilot shortages usually apply to experienced Captains and not brand new F/O's with a restricted medical.I think you could have problems finding suitable employment and if you are considering spending huge sums of money ( if this is the case? ) try and get some opinions ( if this is possible ) from future employers or you could try the likes of CTC.
Yes, I am on the brink of investing a rather large sum of money into training. I was due to start at OAA on July the 29th, but this isn't looking likely now because of this condition the CAA discovered. I'm just about to start tapping away some emails to ask airlines their opinions on OML medicals and what their take on it is. This will most likely confirm if I will be going ahead with my training. I also have friends in Ryanair, Cathay and BA who are doing some investigation for me and should be back to me by tomorrow.

To be honest I don't see what issue the airlines would have with OML restriction for one pilot of a multi-crew aeroplane! However, in reality!!!!!
Especially now with new pilots being only Multi-Crew licensed too... But often emotions (that guy might collapse at the controls) overcome common-sense (that guy is OML, is being thoroughly checked and vetted health-wise and is probably in better shape than most of his peers)!

I'm about to regain (hopefully) my Class 1 after cardiac probs! 20+ years flying still doesn't mean everything is cushy! I do feel though that with the looming shortage that you'll find a job aviating somewhere and soon. Best of luck
You're quite right. My eventual goal is long haul, and even if the chance of me dropping dead on the flight deck was high (which it fortunately is not) there would still be another 3 willing pilots waiting to fill my seat! Emotions are my most likely problem to overcome, as you quite rightly said. I have been given the all clear from the doctor, but as there is that mark on my medical saying restricted, things may differ. They wont give me a job on the basis of me telling them I am fit and healthy and have no problems with my heart in real life, as the figures tell them that my QT is 10ms over the limit (as in, next to nothing!).

Best of luck with having your medical returned, I cannot imagine how it feels to have it revoked after 20+ years, its bad enough for me and I haven't yet started!

Ian