PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alan Joyce Chief Executive Qantas June 22/6/11 Address to the National Press Club"
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 05:24
Level-Headed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In regards to the following comment "A professional pilot" does not decide that just because there is a CB in the way, he should fly more aggressively. It's likely to end badly... He goes around it"....I Agree with the first part of your statement however in regards to the second let me make a more accurate comment "A good pilot goes around a CB with enough separation to make it Safe, comfortable and efficient. No more no less".. In the same way all the journo's here are the equivalent of a pilot flying 200 miles around that same CB....Very Unproductive, inefficient and overly safe. .

The majority of questions asked where in my opinion irrelevant to what is going on at QF. For 3 different journo's to ask basically the same question relating to the ash cloud etc is simply a wasted opportunity to scrutinize and perhaps or at least get some answers.. I relate to the fact that the most likely reason for the strong decline in the stock price (notwithstanding another profit announcement?) is the potential industrial action so why on earth weren't more questioned asked in regards to this? I understand that you don't want to bite the hand that feeds you or get black-balled but this was just a pathetic excuse and simply allowed AJ to put more spin and get some free publicity for his argument. You can still ask tough, intelligent question without being disrespectful..On this occasion none where asked.

Finally I also understand that most of the people here are only messengers since they only report and not write stories. But here is where the problem lies and it's hard to argue with your final statement "It's up to the public to decide whether the man is full of knowledge, or full of something else." since they will end up with a one sided story. (Not good reporting if you asked me)

AJ is smarter (read devious) than a lot of people credit him for and here to portray the union representatives as the the ones responsible for "The inclusion of the Job security clause" is a brilliant (read unfair and blatant distortion of truth) strategy. As a junior QF driver all I can say is that those representatives are trying to fix/stop our career literally flying away. It is no dream/illusion or a product of my imagination. I know my colleagues would back me up so. The question is Who's living in Cooh-Cooh land?. Not me I bet cha!!