PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair exodus, what is the plan?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 04:17
VJW

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Narrow runway; outgrown RYR cause I like to fly manually - that's a good one! That's actually one of the things I like about RYR. I never said I do anything during an approach without briefing it before hand. I simply said whenever possible, I try to fly manually, find me a TRE/LTC etc that thinks that's a bad idea. As you well know, we've disagreed on a number of occasions and this time is no different. There's a difference between someone cocky who cannot back up their statements, and one like me who is confident in their ability, having made and will continue to make mistakes, but who is also able to recognise their mistakes and someone who is keen to learn.

I'm just glad as an FO in an airline where you can upgrade within around 4 years, I don't spend my entire time flying with Captains who's a$$ is so tight they're too scared to let the FO do anything. I know for sure I wouldn't learn anything!

I spent all day recently as a safety pilot for a lad 2 days into their line training. Halfway round a DME arc to final the LTC asked the cadet to disconnect everything including flight directors and continue the approach (most likely his 4th ever approach as PF on the line). The cadet flew it pretty well all things considered. Not only can I not imagine you ever suggesting that to an FO, but I'd love to watch your face is a LTC did that to you. Is flying manually really that difficult? Perhaps if you never do it!

Re lospilotos post, is there any chance it's EJ? Don't they have a view 700's kicking around? Can't be RYR what with it stating its a UK airline, and if it's not Jet2, then who else falls under the tag 'UK leading loco?'